Pear, Walnut & Gorgonzola Salad
Lots of what passes as salad in my home is really diabolical dishes disguised by the words ‘light lunch’ meaning we will have it when it is light outside, that’s all. So when I ask you over for salad, do not despair you will eventually find some leaves in there, I promise that you will have loads of taste and a full belly. If you are however looking for calorific salvation, we are all out today …
- 100g pack walnuts
- 3 tbsp honey
- 2 tsp sugar
- pinch of Maldon sea salt
- 2 ripe pears
- 200g mixed salad leaves of your liking
- 1 head of chicory
- 150g Gorgonzola Dolce cheese
- Olive oil
- 2 tsp French mustard
- Preheat the oven to 180°C, toss the walnuts with 2 tablespoons of the honey, the sugar and a sprinkling of sea salt. Spread on a baking tray lined with baking paper and toast in the oven for 10 minutes until caramelised. Leave to cool before using
- Heat a griddle pan on the hob until very hot. Cut each pear into 8 wedges and remove the cores. Brush with honey, Season lightly then chargrill the pears both sides so you get those distinct markings.
- For the dressing, whisk the olive oil and mustard in a small bowl & seasoning.
- Throw the mix leaves in a bowl and dress, I always feel that this salad needs be portioned for fairness. My greedy nature says that someone will take much of the goodies and then you do not get the full mix of cheese, pear, walnut and therefore effect for all.
This is a great side, starter or even a light lunch main, very versatile.
Enjoy your summer!
By Mario Armani