Workshop: Shoot, record sound & edit on your Smartphone
*All tickets include a light lunch
More and more people are now using their smartphones to shoot and create stories whether they are for a short film, multimedia/journalism or corporate content. This workshops is a hands-on experience which you take you through how to record video&audio, edit your footage and immediately export the content online or social media. During the course you will also get a chance to test different add-ons for your smartphone: recording mic, image stabilisers etc.
The workshop will cover the following:
- Learn how to record audio interviews and use a microphone to get the best sound
- Shoot video interviews and learn how to frame the subject correctly using well established cinematography techniques
- Film voxpops, point-of-view shots, action shots and film multiple interviewees
- Use your smartphone to film establishing shots and cutaway shots
- Learn how to use natural lighting as a key light to model and illuminate the subject
- Use good interview technique and learn how to edit for the sound
- Take photographs and learn how to use picture composition and rule of thirds
- Learn how to edit your clips on the smartphone and create a video news story
- Launch video news stories online and blogs using social media sites.
Before the course, we will contact participants to find out what type of smartphone they’ll bring to the course and with a list of apps to download before the workshop. The majority of these are free, but the list will include a couple of paid-for apps. These should not come to more that £20 in total. Also, on the day
About the trainer
Bill Shepherd is a production editor at The Guardian and The Observer newspapers. He is a member of the National Union of Journalists and a member of the Guild of Television Professionals.
Image: via Shutterstock / drpnncpptak