Workshop: Pitching NGO and Humanitarian Stories
*The tickets include a light lunch
In an increasingly competitive media marketplace, gaining maximum coverage for the issues that matter is key to making sure your stories make a difference. Learn why editors reject or select humanitarian and NGO stories and how to avoid the classic pitfalls. This course will show you how to produce fantastic visually led pitches using the right platforms to ensure maximum coverage and compliments the storytelling courses held in January and March.
What you will cover:
- How to tell visual stories that sell in well,
- Pitching photo stories to the media,
- The relationship between media and photography,
- Understanding what the media wants,
- Understanding what the media doesn’t want (what not to do),
- The role of wire services like AP, Reuters, AFP, and EPA,
- How to file photographs as press handouts to the wires,
- Using web platforms and social media effectively for dissemination photography.
What to bring:
- Laptop to take notes,
- At least two story ideas.
About the trainer – Nadene Ghouri
Arete is the expert humanitarian storytelling agency for non-profits and NGOs, working with award-winning journalists and content specialists to help tell stories that make a difference. Nadene Ghouri is an award-winning investigative journalist and a key member of the Arete team, with two decades of global experience producing news, current affairs, documentary investigations and features. She has been a staff reporter/producer for the BBC and Al Jazeera English. She is a two-time finalist for Broadcast Journalist of the Year, Popular Features and Best Television Documentary at the One World Media Awards and a former winner of the Amnesty Media Awards (Best Radio Investigation). Ghouri is also a winner of the Human Trafficking Foundation Media Awards (Best National Newspaper Investigation) and the Ethnic Minority Media Awards (Best Broadcast Journalist and Best Documentary). Ghouri is a highly experienced international media trainer and consultant, with a particular focus on storytelling training and strategic communications.